Monday, June 08, 2009

Here's your chance

I've heard many people justify waterboarding by claiming it's justified if it will save lives.
But I'm convinced it's only justified to these people if it's done to a foreigner. Make that a non-white, non-Christian foreigner.
Want to prove me wrong? Here's your chance.
Let me preface this by saying that I hate unneeded abortions--but I hate freaks like this even more. I also don't support torture, including waterboarding (which the US considered torture when it was done to our guys), in any form.
The guy who murdered the abortion doctor in Kansas, as the doctor was serving as an usher at church, is quoted in a news article as saying, "I know there are many other similar events planned around the country as long as abortion remains legal." The article then continues, "He would not elaborate."
Here's a chance to practice...enhanced interrogation. This guy knows lives are in danger, but he refuses to tell law enforcement information that could save those lives. Waterboarding time.
Somehow I don't think it will happen.
Why not?
Because he's a white Christian American.
If you have any other ideas of why he won't get tortured, let me know.
Double standard.

3 comments:

Tim said...

By the way, the argument that it's different if it's not done on American soil doesn't hold water. Why? Guantanamo is as American as it gets. It's more American than most of the US, since there's no competing state government. It's pretty much America owned and operated. If Cuba were really just lending it to us, I think we'd be better friends with Cuba...

Unknown said...

Call me overly pragmatic, but I think the biggest argument against torture is that it doesn't really work very well. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've heard many experts discuss the issue, and it sounds like most agree that torture gets you a lot of short answers and false leads. If there's no benefit, there's no justifying the cost.

Jenni said...

I am also under the impression that torture often brings false answers...I think about my kids when I am questioning them about something and they think they are going to get in trouble and they will almost always tell me what they think I want to hear--in spite of the fact that I often know it to be different from the truth. Adults may be more elaborate about it, but the truth is that someone being tortured wants to get out of it, and in many cases I think they will focus more on getting out than on telling the truth...and how is the torturer to know what is truth and what is not?

Now I do agree that the guy should be in custody, and questioned repeatedly. Maybe he should be questioned under hypnosis. Maybe they should offer him deals, I don't know...but the point is that I just don't believe that torture is a reliable way to get results. (It's a lot like spanking, only on a bigger scale...research says it doesn't work)