Friday, February 04, 2011

Mormon for President, 2012

If you haven't heard, Romney's not the only Mormon with aspirations for the Presidency in 2012. Jon Huntsman, former governor of Utah and Ambassador to China (who also happens to have exquisite tastes in music--in other words, a progressive rock fan) also apparently has aspirations for 2012. Now I happen to think that it's probably just a test run for 2016, and I don't think a moderate Republican has much of a chance of winning the primaries in 2012 (although I would argue that a moderate Republican is the only one that would be able to beat Obama).

Anyway, that brings me to a wonderful little graph that details Republican contenders for 2012. Take a look.



The good news is, Romney and Huntsman are both sane. The bad news--only three of the 13 contenders are sane, and there's doubt as to whether the majority of people voting in the Republican primary will vote for a sane candidate. And then there's the problem of religious bigotry in the South, which would probably seriously hurt two of the three sane candidates. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

4 comments:

mr.brighton said...

I think Huntsman's ambition is a little big. He's reaching too far too fast! But it will be interesting to see how he does.

Tim said...

As I said, I think this is just a test run.

What do you mean by "reaching too far too fast"? Do you mean he's not well-known yet? How is it different than Romney's first run for President, or Obama's run?

Katrina said...

I was interested to hear on the news about Huntsman running, too. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens as time goes on...

Brasileira said...

I love that graph/article. Made me smile quite a bit.